The Chinese Parterre Garden, established in 1912, was the termination for the formal gardens until the construction of the Sunken Garden in 1915. It is often referred to as the Chinese Maze Garden, although it is not technically a maze. The story is that the design replicated the pattern from Robert’s favorite silk pajamas, the Chinese symbol for good luck or long life. The planting of the garden, with its geometrically patterned amur privet, is similar to that of the Square and Triangle Parterre Gardens, but this space is enclosed by a high concrete wall, lined with espalier apple trees. Although some elements of the garden have changed over time, the basic form and spatial organization of the garden remain relatively the same.
The arched opening on the east side which appears in early photographs was replaced by the iron gates (originally in the Brick Wall Garden) designed by John Borie, in 1930 (note the “A” in the center of the gate). Sculptural elements have also evolved. When Robert first created the maze effect, he placed a Fu Dog in the center. But after a trip to Peking, China, he found the current marble goldfish figures, which the dealer claimed had once guarded a Chinese prince’s estate. (Although these actually are fountains, Robert never used them as such. He replaced the two center Fu Dogs with these goldfish in 1925. Sea creatures were popular in American gardens in the 20s and 30s.)
In addition to the main garden space there is a narrow chamber running along the western edge of the garden. It is bordered on the east by the concrete wall of the garden and on the west by a tall wooden wall of horizontal boards which also forms the eastern wall of the Avenue of the Chinese Musicians. The chamber originally provided access to two stair towers offering an aerial view of the garden which no longer exist.
Text in-part courtesy of Maureen Holtz.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.





