Allerton Park & Retreat Center is located at 515 Old Timber Road, Monticello, IL 61856, approximately 28 miles southwest of the main campus of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Park Hours: Open daily 8am to sunset (closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day)
Visitor Center: Open daily 9am to 5pm; unstaffed, self-guided resource with maps, displays, restrooms, and beverage vending
There is no admission fee to the Park. However, donations are encouraged to help keep Allerton the free public resource it has been since 1946. No matter the amount, donations are greatly appreciated and make a difference in helping to maintain the Park. Donations can be made at any of our 4 outdoor kiosks, in the Visitor Center donation box, or via the University of Illinois Foundation.
- Please drive slowly and carefully, following the 25 MPH speed limit.
- Park only in designated lots, not along roads/gardens or in the grass.
- Staff buildings, lodging areas and the Mansion are NOT open to the general public on a walk-in basis.
- Due to private events and maintenance activities, certain outdoor areas may be closed to the public. We do our best to post any long-term closures on our site, but occasional unforeseen circumstances may render some areas inaccessible during your visit. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your cooperation and understanding.
- Please follow all park etiquette (below).
For the safety of all visitors and guests and the protection of the gardens and natural areas, please respect all park rules:
- Alcohol — prohibited unless authorized by Allerton/University of Illinois
- Bicycling — permitted only on paved roads
- Camping — prohibited
- Children — must be supervised at all times
- Collecting — always prohibited (flowers, plants, antlers, mushrooms, rocks, etc)
- Fire — firewood gathering, open fires, & fireworks are prohibited
- Hiking and Cross-Country Skiing — use only designated paths/trails; do not travel off marked paths
- Hunting and fishing — prohibited unless authorized by Allerton/University of Illinois
- Metal Detecting — prohibited
- Pets—must be leashed (6 ft. max) & attended to at all times; please clean up after your pets
- Picnicking and grilling — picnickers welcome, picnic tables provided; grill only in designated areas with provided grills
- Safety — do not climb trees, shrubs, buildings, walls, or sculptures; stay on marked paths and do not enter flower beds
- Swimming and wading — prohibited
- Weapons — prohibited
- Wildlife — do not disturb flowers, plants, or animals in any way
Outdoor Safety for All Seasons
As with any outdoor area, please take proper precautions during your visit to Allerton. Common safety tips include:
- Follow all park and trail rules
- Check the weather for current and predicted conditions, including temperatures, wind chills, heat indices, severe storms, etc.
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for conditions and seasons
- Wear sunscreen and stay hydrated, especially during hot summer months
- Use insect repellent containing 20% or more DEET to reduce your risk of mosquito and tick bites and related diseases
- More information about West Nile virus prevention
- More information about Lyme disease prevention