The Vine Walk, laid out circa 1915, is located on the northeast side of the property leading to the House of the Golden Buddhas and later, the Fu Dog Garden). It consists of a long narrow grassy walkway enclosed on both sides by an 8’ high wire trellis, covered with a mixture of Trumpet vines, Wisteria vines, and Bittersweet to help give shelter from the sun.
Originally the pathway’s western edge reached close to the Gate House (where the head gardener lived) and continued straight to the gazebo. When the University took ownership of the Park and created the Main Parking Lot in 1947, the western segment of the path was removed at Robert Allerton’s request. The Vine Walk is now shortened and guarded by the Park’s only pair of Korean Fu Dogs, previously placed near the benches at the Avenue of the Formal Gardens.
Text in-part courtesy of Maureen Holtz.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.





