• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to footer
Block I logo
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Allerton Park & Retreat Center

Allerton Park & Retreat Center

  • Visit
    • Plan Your Visit
    • Park Maps
    • McCraw Family Visitor Center
    • Greenhouse Café
    • Accessibility
    • Mansion
    • Gardens
    • Natural Areas
    • Artwork
    • Gift Shop
    • Area Attractions
  • Lodging
    • Book Your Stay
    • Weekend Wind Downs
    • Reservation Policy
  • Weddings & Gatherings
    • Weddings
    • Corporate
    • Special Occasions
    • Event Spaces
    • The Dome
  • Events
          • Calendar
          • Tours & Hikes
          • The Farms Folk School
          • Concert Series
          • Seasonal Special Events
          • Youth Programs
          • Supper Club
          • Understanding Dreams

            August 25 ● 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
          • Full Moon Yoga

            August 28 ● 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
          • (SOLD OUT) Beyond Beginning Weaving

            August 29 ● 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • The Farms
    • About
    • Courses
    • Classrooms
    • Resources
    • Instructors
    • The Farms FAQ
  • Give
    • Donate
    • Building the Legacy
    • Memorial & Dedicatory Gifts
    • Sponsorship Opportunities
    • Priorities
    • Wish List
    • Volunteer
  • About
    • About Allerton Park
    • History
    • Future
    • In Residence
    • Research
    • Clubs
    • Social Responsibility
    • Staff
    • Advisory Board
    • Employment
    • FAQ
    • Enews Archives
    • Allerton in the News

Sunken Garden

April 9, 2026 by neonmoth

  • Info
  • Map
  • Images

The Sunken Garden was designed in 1915 as a finale to the formal gardens. This architectural garden is unusual among the Allerton gardens, with no central path and limited plantings other than turf and hemlocks located inside the upper wall.

Reserve the Sunken Garden

Prior to 1915, this area served as Robert’s garbage dump. When he decided to create a garden here, he asked his architect friend, David Adler (who later employed John Gregg in his Chicago offices), to help design it. William Lodge (of Lodge Park north of Monticello) supervised the work.

They moved the dump and enclosed the area with an oval cement structure. This was one of the first poured cement walls in Piatt County. Because the forms used were not properly made, all the board marks showed and the laborers needed to plaster it over to make it appear more uniform.

Finally finished in 1917, the garden continued to change over the next two decades. Initially, only the lower wall was constructed, with pines planted around the perimeter behind the wall. Two rustic gazebos were located at the ends with adjacent steps providing access down into the garden. There were also steps on the east side and a ramp on the west side. The gazebos went through several iterations before they were eliminated when a major redesign of the garden was undertaken in the late 1920s, utilizing John Gregg’s architectural talents. At that time the upper walls were added, making the garden more enclosed, and much of the original sculpture was removed. By 1931 John designed new stairways in the clean, modern Art Deco style with pylons soaring twenty-four feet from the upper terrace. The pylons were topped by guilded Japanese Guardian Fish,  replicas from originals that Robert and John saw on the roof of Nagoya Castle in Japan. (These tiger-headed fish, or “kinshachi”, symbolized protection from fire.) Today, several of the Guardian Fish are replacements for the originals.

Charles Laing, the Chicago stone mason who carved the replicas ofAdam, Primitive Man, and The Three Graces, carved the goldfish in the Sunken Garden, using the Chinese Parterre goldfish as models. Although the original fountains had holes in the mouth, Laing didn’t drill the holes all the way through in the Sunken Garden goldfish. Copies of the Chinese Goldfish replaced the Fu Dogs, which were moved to the Fu Dog Garden in 1931.

The last major change was the addition of lattice on the upper walls in the late 1930s, allowing vines to grow up and hang down. Besides the addition of an ADA path around the northern perimeter of the garden, there have been few changes since then. Today, this garden serves as the estate’s most popular venue for wedding ceremonies.


Text in-part courtesy of Maureen Holtz.

Loading...
No Records Found

Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.

Maps failed to load

Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.

sunken-garden_4366-geodir.jpgsunken garden 4366 geodir 600x401

Allerton Logo



515 Old Timber Road
Monticello, Illinois 61856
217-333-3287
allertoninfo@illinois.edu


NRHP Opera House logo Trip Advisor logo Wedding Wire logo the knot logo

Connect

  • Contact
  • Press Archives
  • Staff
  • Photography Credits

More Links

  • Event Calendar
  • Lodging
  • Donate
  • Sign Up for Allerton News

Logomark

Footer

Explore Campus

  • University Admissions
  • Careers at Illinois
  • University News
  • Visit Campus

Connect with Illinois

  • University Alumni
  • Giving at Illinois
  • University Calendars
  • University Directory

Access University Resources

  • Emergency Services
  • McKinley Health Center
  • Connie Frank CARE Center
  • University Library

About Cookies Privacy Copyright Accessibility Site by Neon Moth Login