Horticulture Internship Announcement
Allerton Park and Retreat Center is an estate built by Robert Allerton which he donated to the University of Illinois in 1946. The park encompasses 15 formal gardens and 1500 acres of forest and prairies. A 100 year old Georgian style mansion also sits on the property where meetings, conferences and other private events are held. Each year over 150,000 visitors pass through the park engaging in public programming, concerts and enjoying the best of Illinois nature and Landscape design. We are seeking enthusiastic and knowledgeable individuals to be part of our team to serve the environment and the people of central Illinois in the role of Horticulture intern.
The Allerton Horticulture Intern will receive hands-on training in many phases of garden management and development, by experiencing day-to-day operations on the grounds and formal gardens of the Allerton estate. Emphasis will be on learning practical horticultural knowledge and skills. Supervisory skills will be developed by occasional direction of garden volunteer activities. Integrated Pest Management skills, arboricultural techniques, and skill in the use of different garden machinery will also be established. Special projects will be assigned to specifically enhance individual interests and abilities in garden and grounds management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Learn to identify weeds and implement control methods.
- Learn proper techniques involving planting and caring for diverse plantings of annuals, perennials, shrubs, and trees.
- Take part in watering plants and containers on a rotating weekly schedule.
- Learn and apply best management practices for turf.
- Be involved with special events that take place throughout summer including: concerts, weddings, conferences, etc.
- Interact with park visitors, answer questions about plants and culture of the park.
- Learn to operate the following garden machinery:
- Small equipment operation – push mower, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, leaf blower, etc.
- Large equipment operation – riding mower, dump truck, tractor, etc.
- Arborist equipment operation – chainsaw, wood chipper
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Strong academic background in landscaping, horticulture, or related field.
- Ability and willingness to communicate with park visitors.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions and perform physically demanding tasks, able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Possess valid driver’s license and have transportation to work site.
Dates: May to August
To Apply: Send a letter of interest and resume to:
Peter Lichtenberger, Park Supervisor
Allerton Park and Retreat Center
515 Old Timber Rd.
Monticello, IL 61856